ASA 2019 Medical Mission Scholarships
Are you a practicing surgical assistant and interested in helping others by serving on a medical mission with KenyaRelief.org?
The Association of Surgical Assistants (ASA), in partnership with Operation Billing, is offering two medical mission scholarships
to volunteers who participate on a medical mission with Kenya Relief. The ASA 2019 Medical Mission Scholarship would provide
$1,500 in reimbursement for some of your expenses and help you offset the cost of your trip.
To be eligible for the ASA scholarship you must:
- Be an active ASA member with currency.
- Complete the form below and submit the Medical Mission Verification Form by December 1, 2019.
- Provide a description of your membership history—join date and any ASA involvement.
- Upload official documentation of the KenyaRelief.org mission program you completed.
- Upload official receipts documenting the costs you incurred, showing costs in U.S. dollars.
- Upload two letters of recommendation.
- Write a 500-word article describing your experience for the ASA newsletter and provide related photos before you will be reimbursed.
- Present a session about your trip at the Spring ASA meeting in March 2020.
All applications will be reviewed after the December 1, 2019 deadline and two scholarships will be awarded.
In addition to the medical mission scholarship, you could earn as many as 10 hours of CE credit toward your CSFA recertification.
You can earn CE credit for a medical mission once per certification cycle, but are only eligible to receive one scholarship.
KenyaRelief.org sends around 20 medical/surgical teams per year on 11-day and 12-day mission trips to Migori, Kenya. Trip costs range from $3,500-$5,000
depending on your airfare costs. More information about KenyaRelief.org and their 2019 short-term mission trips is available on their website.
Contact the Foundation for Surgical Technology with questions or concerns about the application process.
ASA 2019 Medical Mission Scholarship Application Form
How have you been involved in ASA.
Please fill in the appropriate information that applies to your medical mission. Be as complete as possible
in order to help the committee make the best possible decision. You are welcome to upload brochures or
any relevant material that will describe the program or mission you are proposing. Documentation of
expenses must be valid receipts and any foreign currency expenses must be converted to dollars.
Please give a description of the mission including how you used your skills, as a CSFA, to assist on the trip.
Level of support required by mission
Please provide two letters of recommendation completed by a fellow mission team member after the completion of the mission trip.
Receipts showing personal payment of airfare, and/or other cost of trip.
Article (minimum 500 words) that can be published in the ASA News to share your experience.
Photos from the trip that can be published in the newsletter along with submitted article.
I agree that all the information above is correct and true.